Your cat has been prescribed the active ingredient doxycycline to treat a bacterial infection. Doxycycline gel is also applied to the gums after dental procedures in adult cats.
• Not recommended for use in pregnant cats due to inhibition of fetal skeletal formation.
• May cause phototoxic eruptions on face, ears, or other areas of skin with thin haircoat.
• Do not use in kittens before completion of enamel formation.
• Do not give concurrently with aluminum, iron, calcium, magnesium, antacids, or dairy products.
• Give with a small amount of food or at least 5 cc of liquid to prevent esophageal injury. This is particularly important when administering doxycycline to cats.
• Dosage: typically, the antimicrobial dosage of doxycycline for cats is 5-10 mg/kg orally once or twice daily. Your veterinarian may also apply a doxycycline gel to your adult cat’s gums following dental procedures.
This information sheet is designed to help answer commonly asked questions and help you give the medication safely and effectively to your pet. It does not contain all available information for this medication. If you have other questions or need more information, contact your veterinarian or pharmacist.
Always follow the dosing instructions provided by your veterinarian.