Your dog may have been prescribed atenolol for an irregular heart rhythm or to treat to aortic or pulmonic stenosis. It is also less commonly used to treat high blood pressure.
• Beta blocker.
• Slows the heart rate.
• Extra monitoring of glucose levels may be needed in diabetic patients.
• Use with care in animals with asthma (more common in cats).
• Do not use in animals with certain conditions that could cause low heart rates (eg AV block).
• Use with care in animals with heart failure.
• Use with care in animals with kidney disease.
• Dosage: usually twice daily in dogs.
• Do not stop treatment suddenly always taper dose and withdraw under the advice of your veterinarian.
This information sheet is designed to help answer commonly asked questions and help you give the medication safely and effectively to your pet. It does not contain all available information for this medication. If you have other questions or need more information, contact your veterinarian or pharmacist.
Always follow the dosing instructions provided by your veterinarian.